«back to Villages

Kincardine O Neil Torphins & Lumphanan Area

Scroll down the page to see the article accompanying this slideshow
 
Kincardine O Neil Torphins & Lumphanan Area.     Kincardine O’Neil dates back to the 14th century
 
 

Kincardine O Neil, Torphins & Lumphanan Area

Kincardine O Neil Torphins & Lumphanan  Area – a pictorial guide to the Kincardine O’Neil area by dsider media & Bill Bagshaw Photography Courses.

Historic Kincardine O Neil
The ruined church at Kincardine O’Neil dates back to the 14th century and was built upon the site of the original church from the 5th century.  The original Kincardine O’Neil church was established by Saint Erchard who in the 5th century bought Christianity to the area. The church was originally twice as long and was in part a hospital (founded somewhere around 1330). The church roof was originally made of thatched heather.

Torphins Church is a picturesque Germanic style church and dates back to 1875.
Torphins has several shops, and once had a railway station on the old Deeside Line

Lumphanan is where Macbeth was killed during his last stand.
In 1057 Macbeth the King of Scotland was killed in battle at Lumphanan by Malcolm Canmore, who became King Malcolm III of Scotland. The Peel Ring at Lumphanan is an ancient 13th century defensive structure. Donald Dinnie who was the son of a local stonemason; rose to prominence at The Aboyne Highland Games.  Donald was famous for carrying 2 boulders over Potarch Bridge (see slideshow) and back. The Dinnie Stones remain outside the Potarch Hotel alongside the bridge; to this day.

Kincardine O’Neil, Lumphanan & Torphins Area Shops
Kincardine O’Neil  has a variety of small shops and a petrol station. There is a co-operative shop at Torphins, with a petrol station just outside the village. Lumphanan has a village shop and a cafe.

Kincardine O’Neil, Lumphanan and Torphins Area Holiday Accommodation
Sandra & Murray, The Learney Arms Hotel, The Square, Torphins     Tel: 013398 82202 Irene & Kenneth, The Old Toll House B&B, Pitmurchie Road, Kincardine O’Neil   Tel:  01339884413 Contact us to get a free lineage listing of your Kincardine O’Neil & Torphins Area holiday accommodation here.

The ruined church at Kincardine O’Neil dates back to the 14th century The ruined church at Kincardine O'Neil on Royal Deeside dates back to the 14th century and was built upon the site of the original church from the 5th century. The original church was established by Saint Erchard who in the 5th century bought Christianity to the area.  The church was originally twice as long and was in part a hospital (founded somewhere around 1330).  The church roof was originally made of thatched heather. This part of Aberdeenshire used to be called Kincardineshire. www.dsider.co.uk online magazine,whats on guide & photography courses. Photography by Bill Bagshaw photographers Kincardine O'Neil (Bill Bagshaw & Martin Williams/Bill Bagshaw, dsider.co.uk)

Photography Training & Mentoring

Photography Courses Gift Vouchers

What's on Royal Deeside

dsider.co.uk events and photo guide to Royal Deeside & Strathdon